Notifications
Clear all

BD1 Without DC1?

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@xandasxurras)

Hello, I wonder if it is possible to buy only a BD1 controller and then build a 'custom' controller by my-self. The background is the next:

I already have a eddy-dyno with its controller/source power. I have a desk where I am sitting and moving a potentiometer so I can load +/- the engine. After that I also have a home-made software/interface to adquire and analize signals (torque,power, cyl pressure, torsional vibrations, combustion gas analyzer, etc,etc..).

So, recently my source power-source/controller stops working and I need to replace it with a new one but I want to keep my old desk with all my tools to control the dyno.

Is that possible?

I ask this because I couldn't find any specifications regard to control signal specs/protocol in the BD1 manual. (LCOUT;CTRL;CTRL INV pins)

Thanks and regards.

6 Replies
Ronald Perek
Admin
(@ronperek)

BD1 uses PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) control signal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation

Unfortunately, you can't connect an analog signal from the potentiometer directly to the BD1, but if you have your own digital dyno controller, then generating a PWM signal shouldn't be a problem.

Topic starter
(@xandasxurras)

Ok. Then I understad that It's posible to control BD1 without DC1.

But that PWM signal, which are these parameters? I mean frecuency, duty and max Voltage? (I mean range of these variables).

Which is the main variable to control the percentage of load, voltage, duty or frequency?

How It is related with the load of the engine? Eg: 25%duty =25% load (or current on dyno).

For the record, I will use this in a Borghi&saveri FS-150-S Dyno.

Topic starter
(@xandasxurras)

Hi, Can anyone help me?

Ronald Perek
Admin
(@ronperek)

Sorry for delayed reply. I missed your message.

You can find all the specifications you are looking for here:

https://perek.it/help/bd1-brake-power-supply-specification-and-manual/

Yes. It's possible to use BD1 without DC1.

The PWM signal is 0-2500Hz

No limit on duty cycle.

Max input voltage 24V. The signal must pass 1.5V and 3.5V thresholds. So typical 5V signal is OK.

The duty cycle you put on the input is passed to the output. This effectively regulates RMS voltage on the absorber output.

1 Reply
(@xandasxurras)

@ronperek Ok, I almost got it :). Only two questions more.

1-But which input I should use CTRL or CTRL INV?

2- If I increase the frequency the load increases too or if I increase the duty the load increases too?

Sorry for inconvenience. Thanks & Regards

Page 1 / 2
Share: